Saturday, October 04, 2008

I'm not quite sure what monster he has created

October 1st was deer opener for bow hunters. I shocked Jeremy this year by not only saying that I wanted to try it, but that I wanted to go out with him and Tim on opener. While Jeremy is normally a wonderful husband, showing his love for me in ways he knows I will understand, he has become increasingly affectionate in the last week. Apparently this whole hunting thing is a big deal to him. :)

Anyway, 10/01/08 came this past Wednesday. I continuously watched the clock at work that day, excited to leave a bit early for the trip. I called Jeremy on my way home and asked him to have everything of mine ready to go. Our destination was a small patch of woods, including several apple trees, on Tim's, a friend of ours, land. I arrived home, changed, we loaded up Tim's truck, and we left.

We all sat relatively close to each other on this land. After an hour of sitting we saw a doe wander in. She passed by all three of our stands and is still walking today. The rest of the night I watched several deer (does and bucks) wander around just outside of my reach.

This morning Jeremy and I packed up at 4:30 (correction, he packed up and I wandered aimlessly around the apartment wearing a confused and very angry face... I'm not a morning person) and drove an hour west. It was very very dark as we walked through a very thick forest floor. It was unpleasant. But after I got up in my tree and settled in, I had to admit Jeremy was right. It is fun to watch the forest wake up. The sun slowly came up and the forest got louder and louder. The first interesting animal to cross my path was a red fox. I don't think I have ever seen a red fox in person before. It is a beautiful creature. about an hour and a half into sitting I saw my first doe, quickly followed by my second and third. They walked slowly down a nearby hill, enjoying breakfast on the way. Two were a little naive and did not take the time to listen between each bite. If they had, they may have heard me stand up and get my bow ready. The third was a little bit smarter. She knew something was there. I was flexing my arm to begin to draw when she looked up at my face, got mildly frightened and ran off, causing the other two to follow suit. Oh well. Still, very cool sights to see.

No comments: